Fitness equipment is necessary for all athletes who want to stay on top of their game. The demand for sports medicine home-health gear keeps growing, with the market valued at 5.24 billion US dollars in 2018.
Whether you play football, basketball, or some other sport, you have to have the stamina and endurance to compete at the highest level. Not to mention the ability to recover quickly from injuries and soreness.
That is why it is crucial to have home health gear to help you stay fit and healthy. This article will discuss the best sports medicine home health gear that sportspersons can use to keep fit and speed up recovery from injuries.
How to Deal With Common Sports Injuries at Home
Sports are often a source of entertainment, fun, and fitness. However, they can also be a source of injuries. According to the Insurance Information Institute, there were 377,939 injuries sustained when exercising or caused by the equipment. Sports injuries can happen to virtually any athlete at any time during practice or competition.
Though medical professionals see the most serious issues, many are treatable at home with proper first-aid attention. If you have suffered an injury and wonder how to take care of it, here is how to do it.
What Happens After Your Injury
Assuming that you have suffered a muscle injury, the first few hours are crucial. You might feel pain, swelling, bruising, and sensitivity to movement. You may be unable to use the injured area entirely for at least the first few hours. If this is the case, here are four crucial things you need to do.
Rest or Take a Break from All Sporting Activities
The body needs time to recover by going into a state of rest after an injury. During the recovery process, the body gains strength and restores any damaged tissue. The best way to help your body in this healing process is to give it rest. If you push yourself back to regular activity too quickly, the injury is likely to reoccur or even get worse.
Apply Ice on the Injured Area
Ice has become the most popular treatment for muscle strains and ligament sprains. It is effective in reducing swelling, minimizing pain, and supporting normal healing processes. Ice is the best way to treat acute (new) injuries by reducing pain and inflammation.
It also helps prevent injuries from getting worse by supporting healthy blood flow to muscles and decreasing the chance for further damage or re-injury.
It is crucial to apply ice to your injury in the first day or two after it happens. You can use a bag of crushed ice or an ice pack. Never apply ice directly to your skin. Doing so may increase the dangers of frostbite to your skin.
Keep the Injured Area Compressed
When you are injured, the best thing to do is wrap it up. Elastic bandages can help minimize swelling by preventing fluid build-up. They also provide support and remind you to keep the area immobilized. The dressing may not be enough to immobilize all your tissue, but it will offer some relief.
If you are experiencing tingling or numbness, it is probably time to take off the bandage. Do not make the bandage too tight, or it might cause discomfort or restrict blood flow. Even gentle pressure can help keep fluid from collecting around the injury.
Elevate the Injured Part
Another vital thing to do when suffering from a sports injury is to elevate the injured area. By doing so, you are helping to reduce the inflammation by bringing down the swelling in the injured area. It is common knowledge that if you sprain or strain a muscle, it will swell up. If you elevate the injured area, there is less pressure on that section of the body, which should decrease its swelling.
Continuous Care and Therapy
Depending on the severity of the injury, most sports injuries begin to heal within the first three days to one week. A few days after your injury, you can alternate hot packs with ice. Applying heat will increase blood flow to the injured area, delivering oxygen and nutrients to help the healing process.
Once your swelling has subsided, remove your compression bandage and begin light exercises. Take it easy and do not push the injured area to the point of pain. This is important for gaining a range of motion. Keep exercising and stretching until you feel ready to get back to regular use and exercise.
It is essential to continue to stretch and exercise the injured area after symptoms have subsided. Proper stretching and moderate exercise can help you avoid future injuries. The more appropriate the healing of the injury, the sooner you can return to your regular workout routines.
When to Consult your Doctor
You may have suffered from a severe injury and need to look for medical help. Whether you have injured your muscles, bones, or joints, knowing when to pull the plug and go in for medical assistance is crucial. But how do you know your injury is severe enough? Here are some danger signs you should be looking out for.
- If the injured area is swollen and painful
- Lumps, or affected area bending at strange angles
- Popping and crunching sounds during movement
- If you are unable to support your weight with the affected area
- Instability in joints
- If you have labored breathing
- If you are feeling dizzy
8 Best Sports Medicine Home Health Gear
The sporting goods industry is growing steadily, with yearly sales amounting to 45 billion US dollars. With the increasing interest of health-oriented people, home health gear is becoming popular each day.
Most people prefer to stay at home instead of visiting hospitals or clinics for minor treatments. It is essential to invest in the right sports medicine equipment to maximize your athletic potential.
The best sports medicine home gear is one that supports protects and maintains your fitness levels. Such equipment is crucial when you have suffered an injury, and you need to accelerate your recovery and return to your sporting activities. Below are some of the best sports medicine gears that are perfect to use in your home.
Portable Elliptical Trainer with Pulse Rate and LCD Monitor
An elliptical machine is a stationary bike with a design that enables users to move forwards and backward and from side to side. This makes it particularly useful for people who want to lose weight but have difficulty running or jogging on regular running machines. Here are the features of this elliptical trainer.
- LCD Monitor: The large screen of the elliptical trainer is the perfect place to check your fitness data. You can see your time, speed, virtual distance covered, and pulse rate all at once. So you know when to push yourself that extra mile.
- Levels of resistance: This elliptical machine has eight resistance levels, with 1-2 serving those who want to exercise gently. 3-5 gives you a good cardio workout. If you are looking to build up your muscles, then 6-8 would be perfect.
- Magnetic controlled flywheel: The built-in heavy-duty flywheel will give you a more natural, quieter ride on your workout. Plus, the magnetic system delivers an easy, smooth activity.
- Non-slip pedals: The 13.5-inch stride and 5.9 inch spacing of this elliptical machine meet the needs of all people with varying heights and stride lengths. It also has two large pedals made of a non-slip texture, ensuring you stay on your feet.
- Double handlebars: The fixed handlebars are suitable for isolating leg workouts and engaging the glutes, hamstrings, and quads. The movable handlebars are better for full-body activities.
- Strong and durable wheels: Transporting your elliptical machine is a breeze. It can be tilted and rolled out. It is also less likely to damage your floor and carpet because the wheels give extra cushion.
- It comes with a water bottle holder and a phone holder where you can watch movies while you exercise
- It has a sturdy steel frame that gives you a unique riding experience
- The machine’s levels of resistance suit different age brackets like teenagers, working-class, and the aged.
- The magnetic resistance ensures a smooth and quiet session. So you can use it without disturbing noises.
- Not the ideal choice for short users
SuzziPad Elbow Ice Pack for Injuries with Double-Sided Fabric Cover
This ice pack provides 20 – 25 minutes of cold therapy and is re-usable for several months. Apply it directly to your elbow for soothing relief from swelling and inflammation, or use it as a cold compress on any area. Below are its features.
- Fast relief from elbow pain: SuzziPad ice pack for the elbow has an innovative design that wraps around your injured joint to provide 360° cold therapy. The ice pack contains more volume non-toxic gel than other products in the market. It delivers at least 20-25 minutes of cold treatment. If you have pain from tendonitis, tennis elbow, golfers elbow, arthritis, arm pain, or fatigue from heavy-duty or post-workout recovery, SuzziPad is the perfect choice for you.
- Great dual-cover design: The ice wrap has two types of fabric cover, one soft and plush for comfort and one nylon with intense coldness. You can put the wrap on without anything underneath, which offers soothing coldness and protection from frostbite and condensation water.
- Flexible with cold compression: The -13°F freezing point allows this cold wrap to maintain its pliable state right up to the freezing point. It also features two adjustable straps to provide the perfect amount of compression to your elbow or forearm to get the optimal therapeutic effect.
- Hands-free and universal fit: The elbow strap with a gel ice pack ensures this cold pack stays in place without slipping. It is perfect for use when typing, laying down, or walking, making it handy for both men and women. Its adjustable straps will fit most people’s arm sizes up to 19.5″ in circumference.
- Durable and leak-proof: Its double-edge sealing makes this iced pack leak-proof and durable.
- It can fit on different arms thanks to its adjustable straps
- Some users found it heavy and uncomfortable
LuxFit Foam Roller
Foam rollers help athletes reduce pain, tension, and scar tissue build-up after an injury. Using a foam roller is quick and easy. All you have to do is lie on your side with your injured body part on top of it, then move up and down to massage out sore muscles. This foam roller by LuxFit has the following features.
- Extra-firm and durable: This foam roller is made from polypropylene foam and has a density of 2 lbs. per cubic foot. It has a smooth surface that will not lose its shape after heavy use and can repel liquids. The roller is perfect for stretching and alleviating pain.
- Helps prevent muscle injury: This foam roller is an excellent tool for re-educating your posture, positioning, balance, postural awareness, muscle tone, and coordination. It is also great for yoga and fitness exercises.
- Available in different sizes: Four different size foam rollers are available for your needs – 36 inches, 24 inches, 18 inches, and 12 inches. The foam rollers are great for back pain and back exercising, core stabilization, balance, and stamina.
- Perfect for physical therapy: LuxFit high-density foam roller is an excellent tool to help with physical therapy, exercise, and massage therapy. It reduces muscle tension and increases muscle reflexology.
- Manufacturer’s warranty: Comes with a three-year limited warranty.
- Made of durable, lightweight material
- Sturdy enough to withstand continuous use without losing its shape
- Perfect for back pain, lower back, shin, and legs pain
- Surface speckles are not smooth enough and tend to have your hair or clothes snagged
Walito Resistance Bands for Legs and Butt Exercises
Resistance bands are versatile and straightforward workout tools that are great for working out when you are on the go. They are used for a variety of exercises to help tone and sculpt muscles. Due to their portability, you can use them almost anywhere. The resistance bands have the following features.
- The perfect tool for shaping your body: These resistance bands are the ideal fitness tool for the legs and butt. The bands promote hip and leg strength and can help you attain that beautiful figure.
- Can be used for various exercises: These resistance bands are great for workouts like P90x, Crossfit, yoga, insanity, pilates, hot yoga, and beach body. Its comfortable and stretchable fabric will not slide or roll up while you are working out.
- Easy to pack and carry around: This set of resistance bands is a perfect way to exercise anywhere. The resistance bands come with a carrying case which you can take with you.
- Available in three resistance levels: These exercise bands come in three different levels of difficulty: light, medium, and heavy. This means that people of all fitness levels can find the right band for them. Whether you are new to working out or an experienced fitness enthusiast, these glute bands will be perfect for your needs.
- Safe and durable: These bands have high levels of quality. The quality of your workout equipment is crucial for success and injury prevention. The bands are made with two layers and will last you a long time, so they pose little to no threat of snapping while you work out.
- Lifetime after-sales service: If you need a replacement for a defective resistance band, the manufacturer will give a new one to you for free. If you don’t need the bands for any reason, they will refund your money or replace the bands with a new one that you would like.
- They are soft and comfortable to your skin
- There are no roll-ups when exercising
- Strong and durable
- Adds a little more variety to your training routines
- It tends to be too tight and offer a lot of resistance while exercising
ComforTrac Lumbar Traction – Home Remedy for Back Pain
A lumbar traction system will not only ease back pain but also help you recover faster. Traction systems are beneficial for treating several musculoskeletal ailments, including herniated disks, spinal stenosis, and general lower back discomfort. The ComforTrac lumbar traction system has the following features.
- Easy to set up: The superbly designed product is a must-have for anyone who needs to relieve pain in their spine. With no set-ups, the lumbar traction device is easy to use. All you have to do is place it on the floor, buckle the straps around your body, and start stretching.
- Designed to provide comfort: The ComforTrac lumbar home traction system relieves pressure on the spine and decompresses the discs. The product comes with adjustable belts to contour to your body’s shape. The lumbar traction will support the back while the fit adjusts to you.
- Easy to transport: The system is portable, lightweight, and perfect for travel. It comes with a durable carrying case that makes transporting it on your next business trip or family vacation a breeze.
- Relieves pain naturally: It works well for degenerative disc disease, herniated discs, bulging discs, and other back problems. You can get instant pain relief after the first use of the traction system.
- It has a padded surface for superior comfort
- Its smooth traction ensures consistent and effective force
- It comes with a carrying case for easy transportation.
FLYBIRD Adjustable Bench for Full Body Workout
This utility bench is perfect for doing full-body workouts or working out arms, legs, and chest together. It is also super portable, making it easy to move around your house as you exercise. This FlyBird utility weight bench has the following features.
- Made for comfort: This high-quality exercise equipment makes fitness comfortable. The seat or backrest has non-slip, odorless leather. Its padding has high-density foam, which prevents long workouts from feeling uncomfortable.
- Cushioned foot support: This product buffers leg muscles during exercise, and your feet won’t hurt. You will also find that this makes you more comfortable.
- Safe and non-slip stand cover: The bottom of the tube features an enlarged rubber cover, guaranteeing it will not hurt your floor and is safe to work on without slipping.
- Solid and sturdy: This adjustable bench has a 1.5 mm thick, heavy-duty steel pipe that can hold up to 600 lbs. worth of weight.
- Easy to adjust to different positions: This innovative device has six different back positions and four-seat positions for a full-body workout.
- Easy to assemble and use
- You can adjust it to fit your desired positions during your workouts
- It can be folded for storage or transportation purposes, thus saving on space
- Its solid material can support a lot of weight
- Too small for tall users
PowerLix Knee Compression Sleeve
Knee sleeves are easy to use at home or on the go. You need to slip them on before you exercise or compete, then remove them when your activity is over. This will help provide stability and comfort while also preventing injury if worn correctly. The PowerLix knee compression sleeve has the following features and benefits.
- Optimum protection: The PowerLix knee brace is a perfect way to alleviate your knee pain. It offers stable, pressure-based support for your joints and will help you out in the long run. The elasticity of the sleeve ensures that it can fit any individual and is perfect for daily activities.
- Can withstand intense workouts: This knee support is perfect for any sport that can cause stress on the joints, like baseball, basketball, soccer, golf, gym, hiking, running, tennis, and volleyball. It will allow you to enjoy exceptional Knee support without sacrificing your performance or range of motion.
- Made of high-quality fabric: This knee sleeve is comfortable and breathable, offering superior support without compromising mobility. It’s quick at absorbing sweat and will keep your leg dry and odor-free for hours of continuous use. Made with tight, stretchy fabric, it will maintain joint stability for any activity.
- Anti-slip design: These sleeves have a technical knitting design that firmly clings to your skin. The silicone gel strips ensure that no matter what you do, the sleeve does not slip. They come in various colors and use a unique fabric that provides a smooth and soft feel.
- Manufacturer’s guarantee: There is a 100 percent money-back guarantee if the product does not meet your expectations. The warranty lasts for the first six months.
- It has a high absorption capacity keeping you dry at all times
- Eliminates bad odors
- Its silicone anti-slip bands keep it firmly in place
- Able to regulate temperature keeping you cool
- The size chart can be misleading.
OMA Treadmill for Home Exercises
What makes treadmills stand out is their ability to simulate outdoor running or walking, which can help prevent injury. Some treadmills also include state-of-the-art features like shock absorbers to make your exercise easier on your joints. In addition, the adaptive speed control technology lets you dial in your pace for any terrain. Below are the features and benefits of the OMA treadmill.
- Runs on a quiet home motor: The treadmill comes equipped with a 2.25 HP high-performance home motor. This motor allows for silent running in a calm environment, so you can enjoy the fun of indoor running without disturbing others.
- Multi-layered running belt: This treadmill has a six-layer elastic cushioning strap and a 16.5″ running area. It is anti-slip and shock-absorbing, which is great for your knees.
- Quick control handles: You can start or stop the bike at any time with the button on the handle. Speeds up to 8.1 Mph (13 Km/h) can be adjusted with ease.
- Different incline positions: You can get three different inclines by adjusting your pin manually. Doing it this way will allow you to change intensity levels for running, which will provide better running results.
- Easy to fold and move: It is perfect for small spaces since you can fold it up and move it to the corner of your room.
- It comes with its preset programs: You do not need a personal fitness coach. OMA treadmills have 36 preset programs, three custom programs, and auto-calculations of speed, distance, pulse, time, and calories on the screens.
- Its different incline positions give you options to alternate between running, climbing, and walking.
- Easily foldable, which makes it easier to move
How to Choose the Right Sports Medicine Home Health Gear
The right sports medicine home-health gear can help you protect yourself and prevent other injuries from happening. After all, there is no way to work out effectively if you can’t walk, jog, run, jump, play, and do all the things you love doing pain-free. However, it can be hard to choose the right gear. Here are some tips to consider.
A reliable home health product should be durable enough for years of consistent use. The more years you can expect a product to last will determine if it fits your needs.
A moderate-use product that lasts just one or two years before breaking down is not worth buying. A high-end model built to last longer is still a wrong choice if you don’t plan on using it for very long or under extreme conditions.
Your priority when it comes to choosing sports medicine home-health gear is comfort. For example, when shopping for a splint, make sure that you can quickly move your fingers and thumb with it on. If you cannot perform these basic movements while wearing it, it may not suit you.
Whether shopping for equipment at a physical store or buying online, keep your budget in mind. Purchasing an overpriced item may seem better now, but it can leave you strapped for cash later on. When buying online, look at price trends for similar goods to help ensure you are getting a good deal. Do not forget to factor in shipping costs too.
Check the User Reviews
Good reviews are an indicator of whether or not you are making a good choice. A quick search on Google can tell you which products people love and which they hate, so look for high-quality home health gear with many positive reviews.
It may be tempting to go for something with lots of stars or flashy features, but your priority should be how comfortable it is and how well it works. Reviews will help highlight any issues before you buy.
If you are looking for specific sports medicine home-health gear, be sure that you check out any warranty information about that product. Warranties often cover any defects or issues that arise with your equipment, which is vital if something breaks while you’re using it. Most warranties also provide repair service for free if something does go wrong.
Importance of Having Your Sports Medicine Home Health Gear
Sports and exercises are fantastic for your health, but even the most careful athletes can get injured now and then. Because most injuries are not life-threatening, most people can heal without any medical intervention. However, there are instances when accessing sports medicine home-health gear makes the healing process quicker and easier. Here is why you should have your sports equipment nearby at all times.
Enhances Your Recovery from Injuries
It is hard to get back in shape once an injury occurs, but bouncing back becomes is easy with the right home health gear. If you want to enhance recovery after sports injuries or other ailments, investing in essential equipment like elastic bandages and ice bags makes sense.
It Helps You Prevent Injuries
It is a widely-known fact that injuries occur much more frequently in sports. Whether you are an athlete or you enjoy participating in active hobbies, having the necessary home health gear can go a long way toward helping you prevent injuries. It also helps you lead an active lifestyle for years to come.
It Helps You Work Out Without Pain
If you are an athlete or active person who needs to be on your feet all day, ankle sprains can be a significant risk factor for pain and discomfort. It would be best if you protect yourself from ankle sprains with the right home health equipment. These products reduce injuries when used correctly, so you can keep your body safe while staying active.
Stay in Shape
It is no secret that regular exercise keeps your body feeling healthy and young, even as you age. Such activities help maintain a healthy weight, improve blood flow, and keep your heart in great shape.
FAQs About Sports Medicine Home Health Gear
Answer: Home exercise equipment depends on your diagnosis and the personal situation of the person. Most patients are prescribed a home exercise program by their therapist. It is good to have various things to use for therapeutic exercises, such as a yoga mat, a stretching strap, resistance bands, and cuff weights.
Answer: Common ailments that you can treat with sports medicine home-health equipment include migraines, tennis elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome, rotator cuff injuries, and shin splints.
An example of such home health gear would be elastic wraps. Elastic wraps help to keep a bandage in place. There are different types of wraps for specific parts of your body. Another example is an anti-inflammatory gel which you can use for swelling caused by a sprain or other injury.
Answer: You may get back pains for many reasons, so it is essential to see a professional before self-diagnosing and treating it on your own. There are several tools designed for addressing back pain, including traction units (which use weights to pull on your legs), special seating (like adjustable chairs), decompression tables (which stretch out body parts like hips and shoulders), and so on.
Answer: If you have any severe injuries, it is always best to speak with your doctor before purchasing any new equipment or doing anything else that aggravates an existing injury. Your doctor will ensure you get equipment designed for you and your condition. In addition, they will confirm that using the health gear won’t put any extra strain on other body parts.
When you want to get the most out of your physical activity, sports medicine home-health gear can help you stay primed and ready for any physical activity. From home exercise equipment to physical therapy aids, the right equipment can help you achieve your fitness goals.
Sports medicine home health provides the best services to help athletes recover faster from sports injuries. With the quality services, they can perform at their peak level uninterruptedly. The health equipment mentioned above is crucial to boosting your recovery process.
To learn about more ways to support your body, check the links below: